USAAF P-40’s in Java – Part Two

USAAF_P40's_Banner_2A journey to Australia

Alarmed by the Japanese onslaught, the USAAF decided to form five provisional pursuit Squadrons to bolster the battered defences of the Philippines. These were to be the 3rd, 13th, 17th, 20th and 33rd. Pilots hardly out of flying training school were assigned postings to “PLUM” (*) and P-40’s were hurriedly rounded up, crated and shipped out as soon as cargo space became available.
The news that the Admiral Halstead had delivered a batch of brand new P-40’s to Australia triggered a lot of decisions in the Philippines. One of them was to send a group of 13 US fighter pilots to Australia. The idea was for them to pick up the P-40’s in Brisbane and hedge-hop them back to the Philippines via the Dutch East Indies.  And it had to be done fast!


Fast meant air-transport. And air transport was one of the glaring weaknesses of both the US and British forces – they simply had no transport planes in this area. An exasperated Colonel Harold H. George, chief of staff of the V Interceptor Command, commandeered two Philippine Air Lines’ Beech D-18S to get his pilots over to Australia.

PAL Hnagar 1941 D18

One of the Beech D-18S’ used to fly the USAAF pilots to Darwin, here seen in a damaged hangar at Mindanao, Philippines, just before the flight to Australia


They all knew it would be a hazardous trip, with danger of interception for more than half the route. Moreover, the little, unarmed transport planes were in poor condition for these long over-water hops and their fuel capacity was totally insufficient. The plane had been designed to carry 7 persons (including the pilot) over short distances. And now it was to carry 8 passengers over thousands of miles. Someone solved this problem by stacking ten five-gallon tins of gasoline in the cabin. The passengers were to sit on top of them and make themselves useful during the flight by pouring the gas into a funnel, which was stuck into a length of pipe which was connected to the tanks via a hole cut in the wall. Of course the smoking lamp was out during the whole trip.
The first flight, piloted by Captain Connelly and carrying Lts. Coss, Blanton, Kruzel, Dale, Neri, Gilmore, and Gies, left at 04:00 in the morning of December 31. They reached Darwin on January 2, and the next day the pilots were taken on to Brisbane in General Brereton’s personal LB-30.
The second flight, piloted by Captain McFarland and carrying Capt. Sprague, Lts. Wagner, Kizer, Sheppard, Hennon, Rowland and Irvin, left two days later in a plane that was not really up to the task; in fact, it had actually had been declared unrepairable.
The somewhat subdued passengers counted no less than 130 bullet holes in the fuselage. They also learned this plane had been caught in a bombardment and its left wing had broken off. Looking at the restoration job, the passengers suspected it had been re-attached with baling-wire while its whole leading edge had been replaced with a piece of tin roofing.


B-17E taking off from a field in Java

Off they went to the south and by a series of miracles, Captain McFarland and his passengers made it as far as Bandjermasin in southern Borneo, before the right engine totally expired. For 24 hours they fruitlessly tried to repair it. Then a Dutch Navy PBY gave them a ride to Java where they left Sheppard behind in a Surabaya hospital with diphtheria, and hitched a ride to Brisbane, Australia, on a transient USAAF B-17.
Captain Bud Sprague arrived on the 4th of January and rushed to Amberley field. He had to cool his heels however, before he could get his hands on the P-40’s for the flight back to the Philippines. The line chiefs and other hands were still working flat out and fifteen P-40’s were declared combat-ready on January 12; two more would follow during the next days. Meanwhile, Sprague interviewed the new arrivals, straight off the newly docked President Polk and found four fresh pilots to fill out his squadron. He judged that 2nd Lts. Thompson, Stauter, Trout and Brown were the most promising candidates, despite the fact that each of them only had between 75 and 90 hours on the P-40.
On January 14, 1942 The 17th Pursuit Squadron (Provisional) was officially established and Bud Sprague was awarded the titular rank of Major. Urged on by Sprague, both the veteran Philippine pilots and the novices grabbed whatever P-40 they could lay their hands on and flew endless training rounds during the next two days.


(*) PLUM = Philippines – Luzon – Manilla

Coming up: Part Three – The 17th goes north.

About Kingsleyr

Thank you for visiting my blog! The posts you find here are a direct result of my research into aviation and military history. I use the information I gather as a foundation and background for my books. You may call the genre historical fiction, a story woven into a background of solid and verifiable historical facts. However, the period and region I have chosen to write about (late 1930's - 1950's in South-East Asia) are jam-packed with interesting information and anecdotes. If I'd used them all I would swamp the stories. So this blog is the next best thing. It is an "overflow area" in which I can publish whatever I think will interest you. And from the reactions I get, I deduce I am on the right track. A lot will be about aviation in the former Dutch East Indies. This, because my series of books ("The Java Gold") follows a young Dutch pilot in his struggle to survive the Pacific War and its aftermath. But there's more in the world and you'll find descriptions of cities, naval operations and what not published on this blog. Something about myself; I am a Dutch-Canadian author, living in, and working out of the magical city of Amsterdam. My lifelong interest in history and aviation, especially WW2, has led me to write articles and books on these subjects. I hope you'll enjoy them!
This entry was posted in Aircraft, Australia in WW2 and later, Dutch East Indies, Pacific War, USAAF Pacific and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to USAAF P-40’s in Java – Part Two

  1. Pierre Lagacé says:



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s