Fokker was quite upset by the loss of his commercial market to Douglas and the Dutch East Indies military market to Glenn Martin. In an attempt to re-coup their losses, Fokker Aircraft belatedly switched to all-metal aircraft construction. One of their key projects was the Fokker T-IX medium bomber, seen as a possible replacement for the ML/KNIL’s Glenn Martin B-10 fleet that was rapidly approaching obsolescence.
The T-IX, made its first flight at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport on September 10, 1939, piloted by T.H. (“Hidde”) Leegstra. Its two Bristol Hercules II 14-cylinder twin row radial engines of 1,375 hp gave it a top speed of around 440 Km/h (270 mph). The airplane carried a crew of five and its armament consisted of a nose mounted 20mm gun and two defensive 7.7 mm guns (0.303 Inch) in dorsal and ventral positions. A maximum bomb load of 2000 Kg (4400 Lbs.) could be carried over short distances.
On September 23, 1939 a demo session was held for a ML/KNIL delegation (for which the T-IX was re-serialled “701”) but no orders were placed. From then on the plane was serialled “970”. On March 8, 1940, while making a routine landing at Schiphol Airport, the T-IX’s landing gear collapsed and the aircraft suffered considerable damage
Before the airplane could be repaired the German Wehrmacht unleashed its “Blitzkrieg” against the Low Countries. The Netherlands capitulated on May 15, 1940 and all Fokker’s assets were seized. Luftwaffe technical teams inspected the wreckage of the T-IX but showed no interest, apart from removing the Bristol Hercules engines.
The airframe was damaged further during allied bombardments of Schiphol Airport. At the conclusion of the war in Europe some T-IX parts ended up at Delft Technical University and at Gilze Rijen Airfield. They were scrapped in 1960.