From the late 1920’s onwards KLM was running one of the longest air routes in the world. Twice a week KLM planes left Amsterdam Schiphol Airport for the five day journey to Batavia (Jakarta), a distance of 11.350 km!
KLM started this service in 1927, operating various types of the venerable Fokker Tri-Motor. But after the spectacular success of a standard KLM Douglas DC2 in the 1934 Melbourne race they were quickly replaced by Douglas products. First (1934 -1936) by Douglas DC2’s and from 1937 onwards with Douglas DC3’s.
This KLM ad from the mid 1930’s gives an ‘Artists Impression’ of what he thought the interior of a Douglas DC2 would look like.